1 kilo bag or one 2 pound bag powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (you can substitute some or all of the butter for vegetable shortening for a whiter icing)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1-2 tablespoons milk
- In a Kitchen Aid mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the powdered sugar and butter to incorporate on low speed.
- Add the vanilla and mix till combined. If the icing is stiff, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add just enough milk to get the consistency you want.
- Turn speed up to 3 or 4 and whip until fluffy and creamy.
- Stiffer icing is good for piping, softer icing is good for icing your cake.
TUTORIAL: American Buttercream