5 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda *
½ teaspoon baking powder *
¾ cup butter (1 ½ sticks), softened
¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup molasses
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt, baking soda*, and baking powder*, set aside.
- On low speed, beat butter and sugar until combined.
- Increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, add eggs one at a time, then add the molasses until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Divide dough into 3 equal parts and form in to disks.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F and roll dough on parchment paper to the desired thickness.
- Cut out cookies or gingerbread house pieces and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Chill cookies in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes then bake for 10-12 minutes (depending on the thickness and size…could be longer for a large house piece).
- Edges of cookies will be slightly browned on the edges when baked.
- Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack until completely cool.
- If you want cookies or house pieces that keep their shape and don’t spread, don’t add the baking soda or powder. This will make a crisper, less soft cookie that works well for gingerbread houses.
TUTORIAL: Gingerbread Cookie Dough