Lemon Cream filling & Lemon Curd
1 cup granulated sugar
Zest of ½ a lemon
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
8 large egg yolks
2/3 cup salted butter, cut in to small cubes
1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk sugar, lemon zest, and egg yolks, once combined, whisk in the lemon juice.
- Add butter and place sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Heat until mixture thickens and just starts to bubble (about 6 minutes).
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve in to a bowl and cover the surface of the lemon curd with plastic wrap.
- Once cool, refrigerate up to 1 week.
Lemon Cream Filling
Combine 1 part lemon curd with 1 part non-crusting buttercream (Swiss Meringue, Italian Meringue, or Sue’s Swiss-ish Buttercream).