750 gms powdered sugar (1.5 pounds or 6 cups)
4 large egg whites or, 8 tablespoons pasteurized egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Place all ingredients in to your mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment (if using a Kitchen Aid mixer) and mix on low speed.
- At this point, the icing should have the consistency of peanut butter.
- If it’s too stiff or thick, add more egg white. If it’s too loose, add more powdered sugar.
- Mix on low speed for 5-10 minutes, until the icing is very white and fluffy.
- Cover icing with plastic wrap and cover with a lid.
- If you don’t have a container or bowl with a lid, cover with plastic wrap then a damp towel, place the bowl in to a plastic bag and close shut with a twist tie.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
TUTORIAL: Royal Icing 2 Ways