500 gm bag (or 1 pound bag) powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
3 tablespoons meringue powder
5-6 tablespoons water
- Put powdered sugar and meringue powder and just 5 tablespoons of water in your mixing bowl.
- Mix with a paddle attachment (if using a Kitchen Aid mixer).
- Mix on low speed until incorporated.
- The icing should have a peanut butter consistency at this point.
- If it’s stiffer than that, add another tablespoon of water.
- If the icing is too loose, add more powdered sugar.
- Mix on low speed for 7-10 minutes until very white and fluffy.
- Remove from mixer and place a damp towel over the bowl so the icing doesn’t dry out.
- To store, cover icing with plastic wrap and cover with a lid.
- If you don’t have a lid, cover with plastic wrap, then a damp towel, then place inside a plastic bag tied with a twist tie.
- Will store at room temp for 2 days, or a week if refrigerated.
TUTORIAL: Royal Icing 2 Ways