¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 ¾ cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
1 ¼ cups milk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease and flour two 8” round pans.
- In a medium size bowl stir the flour, baking powder and salt together, and set aside.
- In your mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then scrape the bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat after each addition until incorporated.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined.
- Start with 1/3 flour mixture and mix, then ½ the milk and mix, then second 1/3rd of the flour mixture and mix, then the remainder of the milk and mix, finish with the last 1/3rd of flour mixture and mix till combined.
- Spread batter in to the prepared pans and bake 30-35 minutes.
- Start checking at 25 minutes, a toothpick inserted in to the centre of the cake should come out clean.
- Cool cakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then run a knife along the sides of the pans and turn out on to parchment paper.
TUTORIAL: Vanilla Cake – Creaming Method