2 cups granulated sugar
7 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla, clear or dark
1 ½ cups butter (3/4 pound or 3 sticks), softened
- In a double boiler, continuously mix your egg whites and sugar together and heat to 160 F, and the sugar dissolves.
- Pour egg mixture in to the mixing bowl, fitted with the whip attachment and whip until the eggs and sugar (meringue) form a stiff peak, and the mixing bowl is cool to the touch.
- Add butter (the eggs will deflate) and add vanilla.
- Whip on high until light and fluffy.
- When the butter is added, the mixture will sometimes separate.
- Don’t worry, let it continue to whip and it will come back together.
- Use right away, refrigerate for 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- To thaw, place frozen buttercream in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then bring to room temperature on your counter.
TUTORIAL: Swiss Meringue Buttercream