2 ¼ cups plain cake flour (9 ounces)
1 cup milk, room temperature
6 large egg whites, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ¾ cups sugar (12 ¼ ounces)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks), softened but still cool
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease and flour two 8” round pans. Pour the milk, egg whites, and extracts in to a measuring cup and mix with a fork until combined.
- In your mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix on low speed until blended.
- Add the butter and continue to mix on low speed until the mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no dry flour.
- Add all but ½ cup of your wet ingredients to the crumb mixture and beat at medium speed for 1 ½ minutes. Add the remaining ½ of the liquid and beat 30 seconds more.
- Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl. Beat for a final time on medium high speed for another 20 seconds.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and spread the batter with a spatula to smooth the tops.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in to the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Start checking your cake at 20 minutes. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan and turn the cakes out on to parchment paper and cool completely.
TUTORIAL: Vanilla Cake – Two Stage Method