- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp Perfect Palate Natural Pistachio Flavouring
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- A couple drops of green food colouring (optional)
- 3/4 cup shelled and roughly chopped pistachio nuts
*Note* I like to use salted pistachio nuts for a little twist. Unsalted works great too.
1. Pour milk, 1/4 of the sugar, and pistachio flavour in to a medium sized saucepan.
2. On medium high heat, bring milk to a boil while stirring.
3. Once boiled, remove from head and add in your vanilla.
4. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the other 1/2 cup sugar with the egg yolks.
5. Temper the egg yolk sugar mixture by slowly adding 1/2 of the hot milk mixture, while continuously stirring so the eggs don’t cook.
6. Pour the egg mixture in to the pot with the rest of the hot milk and combine.
7. Return pot to the stove and gently heat to thicken, do not boil.
8. Heat until the mixture will coat the back of a spoon, this will not be as thick as a dessert custard.
9. Remove from heat, pour in to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator till cold, roughly 2 hours.
10. When chilled, turn your ice-cream maker on (follow machine and bowl prep according to manufacturers instructions), and pour the custard in to the bowl, followed by the whipping cream and food colouring.
11. Mix for 20-30 minutes, until your ice cream resembles soft serve.
12. Remove your bowl from the machine and with a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped pistachios. I like to do this by hand to a avoid damaging my machine.
13. Scoop ice-cream in to a freezer safe container with a lid.
14. Place lid on ice-cream and chill for 3-4 hours or until firm.